Monday, September 24, 2007

Thyroid Fears

As a result of the one year post-chemo CT scan, a nodule was found on my thyroid. Benign ones are common, but because my chances for thyroid cancer are significantly higher than average (about 1% to 2% as opposed to .01%), more monitoring is done. Today I had a fine needle aspiration biopsy. The procedure was easy. Lieing down, they numb the neck and scan the thyroid with ultra-sound, while someone - a intervention radiologist - pokes a fine needle into the thyroid. (The thyroid is close to the skin on the neck.) A pathologist is in the room, looking at the samples to ensure it is appropriate for further analysis. It took about 8 pokes and lasted about 30 minutes. The preliminary analysis by the pathologist was that it was benign.

As I was waiting to go for the procedure, I freaked out a bit and started thinking about whether it might be cancer. I thought how silly it was to be thinking of job hunting or life as usual. Just wanted to get in a car and drive away. I had not thought about it particularly before, but being there and having to face the reality got me very scared. I guess you never really get over the fear.

1 comment:

The Apologist said...

Yes - that fear thing. I describe it as something on my shoulder. Most of the time you don't notice it - or forget it's there. The something reminds you...

Glad all was well anyway.