Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Donating Blood

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_1_4x_Donation_by_Cancer_Survivors.asp?sitearea=ETO - is an American Cancer Society webpage that discusses the guidelines and risks of donating blood and organs. For blood, "the American Red Cross guidelines allow people who have had cancer to donate if the cancer were treated with surgery or radiation at least 5 years ago and there has been no recurrence." For organ donations, "under select circumstances there may be an acceptable risk in using organs from donors who have had certain types of cancer." This doesn't impact my daily life, but it sets me apart. It makes me realize I'm not like everyone else.

1 comment:

The Apologist said...

Interesting this one. They're much more stringent in the UK. If you've had cancer you can't give blood. Ever.

I talked to my conmsultant the other day about organ donation. My brother only has one kidney and since my mum died, I'd be the only remaining related donor. ( Actually he's very healthy but you never know...) My doctor said " Never say never..."