Sunday, October 14, 2007

Job Remorse

Prior to cancer, I was conflictive about what I wanted in a job. I would often think about going back to school. During chemo, I wanted my life to be "normal" and took a parttime job. By the end of chemo, I was very tired and dropped the position. I have not worked since. My activities have become focused on the cancer. I applied for a job on Craig's List and in a few weeks found a position, well almost. The offer process got quite confused, such as being given an offer that wasn't signed or a verbal description of benefits which was not correct. I was conflictive about working fulltime and the process didn't help. It didn't bring out the best in my potential manager, either, so in the end there wasn't a match. More on their end, than mine, as I had settled into thinking I would start and if it didn't work out, I could quit. Not a good way to approach a new adventure, but that's where I was. It was good to interview and talk with people that were focused on something other than health and cancer. Now that it's not going to happen, I feel whistful that it didn't work out, yet I don't have the energy to apply for something else. I

I'm about half way through the memoir writing class and I enjoy it. I think being successful in writing a book is a combination of having a story that is compelling to someone, as well as being reasonably well-written. I don't think one has to be a great writer. From the class, I look forward each week to some people's work. The writing needs to be at a certain level, but its really the story that is being shared that connects me.

No comments: